Very often organizations want to add tracking characters to links when delivering surveys, polls, or donation forms. These "tracking links" offer attribution to an individual user. However, most carriers (ATT, TMobile, etc) will aggressively block these tracking links, leading to issues with deliverability.
Typical Tracking Link
If your link looks anything like this, you can be quite sure that the carriers are going to aggressively block delivery.
Fortunately, Prompt.io has a solution.
Embedding Tracking Links
PromptExchange can be configured to embed these individualized tracking links. The steps here are quite simple:
- Store the Tracking URL in a data field for each contact
- Upload the CSV into a Contact List
- Use the "Tracking Link" PromptExchange Template
1. Store the Tracking URL in a Data Field
Here, the data field name is URL. The PromptExchange in step 3 is expecting the data field to have this name. Either rename your existing data field to URL, or alternatively, you could modify the PromptExchange to match the data field name.
Export the spreadsheet and data to a CSV file.
Note: It will be very helpful to include a tester's phone number and tracking link in the import.
2. Upload the CSV into a Contact List
Navigate to Contacts → Create List
Select Import Contacts and drag and drop your CSV.
3. Install the Tracking Link PromptExchange
- Switch to Full Suite administration by clicking on your name in the lower left corner.
- Navigate to "Instant Apps"
- Select "Customer" tab
- Select Add Instant App
- Select "Import"
- Drag and drop the file below
- In Classic, navigate to Home → Agent Tools → Chat
- Click on the + sign at the bottom left corner
- Type your phone number in — or the phone number of one of the contacts in the broadcast
- Select one of the channels you intend to use for the broadcast
- Select "Instant App" mode for a send
- Send the tracking app
If everything is configured properly, the contact will receive a personalized link, but these links are much much friendlier and less likely to get carrier blocked. When the contact clicks the link, the Tracking Link app will render the URL that is associated with that contact record. Additionally, the contact will be "Tagged" as having clicked the link.
If the test is successful, move to Step 5 for Broadcast. If not, please contact support or your account manager and the Prompt.io team will help.
Sending the Tracking App is only currently supported in Classic.
- Navigate to Home → Automations → Contact Actions
- Add Contact Action
- Give the Broadcast a name and select the contact lists for targeting.
- Select "Send Instant App" and select the Tracking Link app.
- Modify the Invitation message as needed, including personalization for outgoing messages.
For more information or further support, please contact support or your account manager.